Monday, September 7, 2009

September 16 Should Be a National Holiday

BY Datuk Seri Panglima Wilfred M. Bumburing, Tuaran MP
I hereby deny receiving any official invitation to speak during a function entitled “Malaysia Countdown” to be organized in Tuaran by USDA on the 15th September 2009. I am surprised by the news reporting, even the title of the supposed talk that I would be delivering have been given and its says in the report that I am confirmed to attend. I wish to clarify that I have not received any official invitation to speak during that function. However, I would support any move by any organization, especially NGOs who organized an event of this nature as it will provide the younger generations with a platform where they would be given an opportunity to rightly and fully know that September 16 should be remembered as Malaysia Day and to be given its actual place in Malaysian history as it will give a true picture the formation of Malaysia in September 1963. But a forum such as this should be organized in a more appropriate environment to avoid any political interpretation from the people at large. When we are invited to attend a forum such as this and are invited to present a talk, we need to get clearance from our political party that we represent because what I will be saying in any such talk will be taken as being the stand of the political party that I represent. I believe that a forum such as this should have balance representation from political and non-political leaders if and when political leaders are invited. In this way, both spectrum of the society will be given ample opportunity to be heard. However I say this without denying the full right of any NGOs to organize forum according to their format.
Meanwhile, I agree with the view that September 16 should be officially declared as a National Holiday for the whole country commemorating the formation of Malaysia 46 years ago in 1963. August 31 has been celebrated by Malaya as the National Day since 1957, but we must put history in its right perspective and declare September 16 as a National Holiday.

1 comment:

  1. I agree, Malaysia formed in 1963, on September 16 is only 46 years. Not August 31, 1957.

    ReplyDelete